You may find it more efficient to produce the text for taxon pages in a text or spreadsheet editor. You can download a file that provides a template for bulk upload. However, before you create your template, you need to make sure that (1) all the taxa for which you want to write the text for your pages are in your classification and (2) you have done all the necessary customization of your LifeDesk's headings and chapters. Your LifeDesk template will contain place holders for all your taxa and chapters, so you should not change any of this on your LifeDesk while you are working with your template.
Once your LifeDesk is ready to produce your template, follow these steps:
- Log in, select Create Content from the main menu and select 'Import Pages'.
- Select the file format you want to work with: Microsoft Excel 2007, Microsoft Excel 97-2004, or Tab-delimited Text
- In the classification browser, select taxonomic names you would like to appear as rows in your template. Groups that have been selected will feature a green check mark in the gray box next to the taxon name.
- Click on EXPORT
- You will now be prompted to download the template into which you can enter the information for each taxon
Some things to keep in mind when working on your template file:
- Do not edit taxon names or identifiers! The names and identifiers you upload must match exactly those in your LifeDesk or the upload will ignore those rows.
- Do not reorganize or rename chapter columns! The names and sequence of headings must match exactly the arrangement in your LifeDesk or the upload will fail.
- You cannot use the spreadsheet to add information to existing pages. The information from the spreadsheet will replace any previous information.
- A select set of HTML tags will be recognized: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p> <img> <sub> <sup> <p> <br> <table> <thead> <tbody> <tr> <td>
- Although you may insert inline images as deep links, these have the potential to break your page layout so are best avoided
- Specifying multiple contributing authors per chapter is not accommodated in these templates. If you re-upload a template, previously specified authors for each taxon-chapter combination will be overwritten.
- There is a limit of 50 taxa per template.
Once your template file is ready for import, follow these steps:
- Log in and go to Create Content > Import Pages and select the Import File tab.
- Go to Step 1. Check your file. This will give you an opportunity to ensure that your information will be correctly imported into the database.
- If your preview meets your approval, go to Step 2. Import your file.